ASAP II for Postal Processing Applications
ASAP II is an automated biological detection and identification system for mailrooms and similar installations. The system can be configured to meet a customer’s exact threat deterrent needs. The biothreat-oriented component of the system can be set up to detect and identify from four to eight bioagents. Periodically, or on demand, a concentrated wet biosample is transferred to the bio-identification system. In fifteen minutes the system will identify the presence of any of the pre-selected agents, and automatically notify the operator if the mail is clear or if a pathogen has been detected.
These systems are typically used in a negative pressure room equipped with a down draft table and can handle thousands of pieces of mail per hour. An air sampling module in the system continuously samples air drawn into the downdraft table while mail is being jogged or opened over the table’s perforated top surface, providing appropriate samples to the biological identification components. Sampling is a continuous process that goes on until processing of a batch of mail is complete, whether it is a few or several hours.
The cost of consumables in these systems is kept to a minimum by using disposable/reusable bioassay coupons that can be reused many times over a 48-hour period. This system is designed to be operated by genral mailroom personnel and is fully automated, requiring little operator assistance.
- Air Collection Rate: 390 LPM using 30,000 hour life brushless fan.
- Particulates Range: 1 to 10 um.
- Air/Liquid Concentration Ratio: 78,000/min. nominal.
- Liquid inventory maintained at user- preset level independent of collection time, relative humidity, or temperature.
- Liquid Inventory: 4 to 5cc, nominal; continuously adjustable under computer control.
- Make-Up Water: System includes 8 L distilled water reservoir that provides fresh water needs for more than 5 days.
- Detects virtually all bio-threats: Spores, bacteria, viruses and toxins
- Minimal or no sample pre-preparation
- Insensitive to most interferents. Has been used to test whole blood, urine, raw sewage, milk, and 10%
- meat slurries.
- Fast; 15-20 minutes per assay depending on analyte
- Sensitivity;Analyte dependent, 1 to 10 ppb typical for toxins, 100 to 100,000 CFU/ml for bacteria.
- All fluids and reagents stored on-board.
- Clean Rooms
- Government or corporate mailrooms
- Critical infrastructure protection
- Food processing
- Homeland security
- Indoor air quality