RAPTOR: Bioassay Detection System
This rapid, automatic fluorometric assay system is a portable (6.45 kg) 4-channel system for monitoring toxins, viruses, bacteria, spores, fungi and other diverse targets. An extremely reliable third-generation product introduced in 2000, users have found these instruments will operate for two years or more with no breakdowns or leaks, and that they will tolerate debris-laden samples such as are produced in mailrooms and food processing facilities – impressive feats for a fully automated wet assay system.
The completely self-contained instrument is the culmination of a careful integration of optics, fluidics, electronics, and software into one compact system for laboratory and field assays. It performs user-defined, multi-step, assay protocols for monitoring fluorescently-labeled chemical reactions occurring on the surface of each of the system’s four disposable optical waveguide sensors. Toxins and bacteria such as ricin and B. anthracis have been detected at levels below <1.0 ng/ml and 100 CFU/ml, respectively.
- Compact, portable system (about the size of a car battery)
- Immunoassay-based biosensor for real time or near real time detection of microbial pathogens
- Typical assay times of 10-15 minutes
- Coupons may be reused if test results continue to be negative.
- Successfully used with urine, whole blood, milk, marine water, 10% meat slurries and slurries of human waste.