The activities of the Division of CBRN protection are aimed at all spheres of CBRN protection; however, the core area is chemistry:
- proposing monitoring, more precisely research systems and (mobile) laboratory analytical systems in the field of CBRN protection, i.e. designing, selection of detection sensors (mainly chemical, dosimetric and radiometric, meteorological etc.) and system integration,
- research and development of the special chemical extensions of military equipment aimed at reconnaissance and monitoring, field analytical laboratories and sampling systems,
- research and development of detectors to detect CWAs and highly toxic chemical substances (cholinesterase inhibitors, halogen alkyl sulphides, toxic industrial chemicals etc.)
- designing, selecting detection sensors, the research and development of the systems of protection against chemical and nuclear (radiological) weapons, more precisely the substances of military (and other) technology and stationary objects,
- designing, the research of assembly groups, the research and development of decontamination systems, methods and mixtures,
- designing, the research of assembly groups and the development of the personal and collective means of CBRN protection,
- testing the detection characteristic of chemical detectors (including stand-off) when using real biological and chemical agents and possibly even their calibration,
- analysing CWAs and highly toxic compounds of organic origin (qualified sampling even in non-standard hazardous conditions, routine analyses),
- the low capacity synthesis of CWAs and highly toxic chemical substances of interest, cleaning chemical substances, preparing the analytical standards and micro-synthesis of chemical substances for the subsequent measurement of analytical characteristic on GS, MS and FTIR,
- analysing the gamma radiation of natural radioactive samples of environment, qualified sampling and processing samples from all real types of matrices,
- evaluating the systems of CBRN protection against WMD,
- evaluating the objects of military technology, buildings and special equipment from the point of view of protection against radiation using stochastic method of modelling the transport of radiation through complex material environment,
- testing and evaluating the decontamination (for instance the suitability of surface processing of technology and material considering resilience against decontamination agents),
- special experiments using CWAs and highly toxic chemical substances (for instance determining their persistence characteristic),
- testing in the field of CBRN protection (the material resistance against the penetration of CWAs, the sorption capacity of anti-chemical filters and the penetration of aerosols through filtration materials),
- the training of chemical specialists and specialists from the units of the first response when using real CWAs.
The Division of CBRN protection attributes high importance to the cooperation with academic sphere, or more precisely research institutions and intends to maintain and develop it on the basis of expert contacts and the training of students.
The Division of Special Electronics and Camouflage due to its highly specialised orientation of core fields on military platforms is focused mainly on:
- Systems and devices of passive reconnaissance of radar devices (ELINT), procedures to signal processing for detailed analysis of monitored objects.
- Systems and devices for radio reconnaissance (COMINT), methods of signal analysis, uncovering radio networks and determination their importance.
- Design and realisation of radio and radar signal jammers in frequency range from HF up to mm of wavelength. Algorithmisation of jammer tasks to optimise their jamming effect.
- Detectors of laser and radar irradiation for early warning and protection of crews of military vehicles.
- Devices for command and control in systems of passive radar reconnaissance, database structure design and exchange of information in these systems, communication and information devices and technologies.
- Optimisation of devices on mobile platform from point of view of electromagnetic compatibility of transmitters and receivers.
- Analysis and evaluation of reliability and sustainability of electronic devices according to STANAG 4174 and preparing the methodology. Providing and evaluation of reliability tests.
- Signature measurement and evaluating objects emitting infra-red (thermal) radiation. Camouflage equipment, materials and procedures to decrease infra-red (thermal) radiation.
- Methods, materials and devices for protection of military personnel, equipment and objects against visual, infra-red and radar surveillance. Design and realisation of protection equipment and systems.
- Reflectance and signature measurement of objects in radar frequency bands and procedures and equipment to decrease reflectance, i.e. camouflage of personnel, equipment and objects against radar surveillance.
- Verification of technical parameters of military equipment introduced into the Army of the Czech Republic bought from Czech Republic as well as foreign manufacturers.
- Implementation of electronic circuit solutions for signal reception and processing
- Protection against IEDs (Improvised Explosive Devices) and mines: R&D in the field of C-IED detection, identification and monitoring.
- Biomedical sensor systems: detection and localization using EM (electromagnetic) methods, telemetric and therapeutic applications.
- Application design software – OS Windows, OS Linux, C, C++, C#, SQL, XML, PHP, ASP.NET, MATLAB, ATMEL AVR, ARM (ATMEL, TEXAS INSTRUMENTS)
- Design software FPGA XILINX.
- Construction design of implementations (Inventor) and multi-layered printed circuit boards (Altium).
- Implementing prototypes of electronic constructions and printed circuit boards (CNC milling machine).
- Test laboratory with accreditation for measuring spectral characteristics, determining of colour coordinates and value of colour difference of camouflage materials.
The main task of the Division of Materials Engineering (SMI) are research, development, testing and expertise in the field of materials and technologies necessary for the protection and security of the Czech Republic as well as for fulfilling liabilities to NATO and the EU based on the membership of the Czech Republic.
The most significant profile fields of the division are advanced material and technological solutions of armour in military platforms. The division is focused on ensuring and increasing the performance of military platforms against projectiles, fragments and a blast based on current and future needs of the Army of the Czech Republic and NATO. Several of the solutions are implemented into the armament of the Army of Czech Republic.
The most significant fields of activities are as follows:
- advanced materials and technologies of their processing and applications,
- testing of materials, anti-corrosion protection and expert activities,
- metal, ceramic and composite armour materials,
- passive, reactive and active systems of ballistic protection,
- the protection of vehicles and objects against a blast,
- performing activities of National Authority for STANAG 4569, 4686, 2920, 4630, 4370 and 4272.